View Single Post
Old October 24, 2018   #97
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
MM-

Still waiting for the right weather and an opening for the landscaper coming to till. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon if the most moisture we get tonight is sprinkles.

- Lisa

I started to plant yesterday. I have one more section left, almost 200 cloves total. Monday afternoon was tilling day. The landscaper came with a 2 tine Troy Built tiller, and he had to till holding the wheels up in the air. It was running away from him. At most he was able to till 4 inches down in virgin heavy clay. I am disappointed but it is too late to start anew.

I pushed back the clay of each weed fabric square with a trowel and added a pinch of bone meal and a handful of bagged worm castings. The clove was planted in the clay / casting mixture and I added a pinch of balanced granular fertilizer on top of the clay after I smoshed it around. I added a lite cover of chopped leaves but it was mostly blown away by the next day.

Any ideas what I can do to keep the garlic from frost heaving? I usually plant 8 inches deep and get good results. I'm not sure if straw would do the job and I'd like to avoid purchasing / hauling it in the quantity I would need. I was thinking of adding a handful of a bagged garden soil (like miracle grow or stay green - not my favorite approach) on top to build up the amount of soils on top. Good/bad? Other ideas?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote