View Single Post
Old April 7, 2008   #7
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
As far as tomato choices I feel very lucky to have received seeds for about 20 varieties. I can't recall exactly the ones I choose to plant from them.... Delicious BTX BTD Amish Paste Cherokee Purple Black Russian Black Cherry
Vinson Watt Large
Paul Robinson
Red Zebra
Amish Paste
Grubs Mystery Green
These I know I have growing.....so It will be one of each at least.... As far as the planting, I could easily do as you suggest and build a little berm using the soil that is there (now 1/2 clay 1/2 partially composted hardwood), however, I don't have anymore compost, all I had got spread in my fenced in garden, and I don't have ready access to any other good dirt (sandy Loam), unless it comes in a bag from HD or Lowe's.....I really would hesitate to add play sand to the mix too....
I haven't grown most of those, but I did grow Black Russian last year. It was very prolific in my garden, but not a tomato that I will ever bother with again. It had mushy sort of grainy texture that made it pretty lousy as a slicing or eating raw tomato. (Supermarket tomatoes are better!) The one saving grace is that it is dynamite in sauce - really adds a nice color and depth of flavor. And unfortunately, the bugs loved this one - had a real field day. I think I harvested 1 tomato for every one hundred the miserable bugs got to. (These were the only plants they liked too!)
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote