View Single Post
Old April 19, 2016   #10
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

roper is on the right track. I grew Manzano successfully in Atlanta. Temps there can run in the upper 90s for weeks at a time. But I've never seen high temps impede peppers, including C.pubescens. What did the trick for me was to take the pots out of the day-long sun and move into partial shade, where they would get full sun for maybe 4-6 hours, then tree shade. In full sun they bloomed like crazy but never set. When moved they set nicely and produced beautiful pods.

Manzano (and Rocoto is very similar) has a viney habit and fruit weight can split the limbs away from the main stem so be careful. Support where shaky.

[hr]
Now in Texas, I'm having the devil's own time getting some pubes started. In Atlanta of 5 seeds, 4 germinated and 2 made it into the ground (pots). Not a bad rate. Here I've gone through sixty Manzano and Rocoto seeds. Last year 4 of 15 germinated; one made it into the ground - but at 1" tall I bumped it and it broke off. This year 9 of 45 seeds germinated resulting in one healthy sprout about 2" tall.

It has become a matter of principle now. I will have some pubes this year! A good friend has sent me a nice selection of seeds and I managed to score some fresh Manzano pods at Central Market. "weak seeds" is no longer an excuse.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote