View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

But if you pick your tomatoes while they're still green, a helpful way to get them to ripen is to place them in a box with a couple of apples, and close the lid. In a couple of days you'll see nice ripe tomatoes. The apple gives off ethylene gas, which speeds up ripening.

%%%%%%

Several decades ago I did that until I learned it's the same method that the growers in Fl and elsewhere use to ripen up tomatoes that give us those pink anemic ones in the winter. They gas them in huge rooms and if you look at most commercial catalogs you'll see that certain varieties are said to bemore gassable, if you will.

I used to bring fruits to a farm stand to be sold as well as to several restaurants. And I never brought them fully ripened fruits b'c there's no way they can use them that quickly and then they rot.

So I picked only half ripe fruits and they were happy and I was happy. At the Farm stand I had to go every few days to remove the ones with cracks and those that were too ripe, and the poundage was subtracted from what the initial poundage was whenI brought them in.

Carolyn