View Single Post
Old August 17, 2015   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
So I pulled the garlic and cured it.
Some had scapes that ended up forming into these.

So my question is are the bulbils viable, and what do I have to do to keep them that way until october?
Thanks
http://www.durgan.org/2015/June%2020...0bulbils/HTML/ 29 June 2015 Garlic bulbils
The garlic bulbils planted in October 2014 were harvested and put to dry for seed in October 2015. About 50 rounds were obtained. I labelled the rounds as bulbils in he photos which is not correct.

Called bulbils the first year growing on top of the scape. The planted bulbil produce one clove called a round. The round planted produces bulb with three cloves. When each clove it planted it produces a normal sized garlic bulb. Three year cycle.

To insure the bulbils are viable, I wrap the cluster at the end of the scape with a piece of gauze or well ventilated material to prevent the mature seeds from falling out when mature. This means the bulb producing the bulbils is left in the ground long after the main garlic harvest, probably up to six weeks. If taken too early the bulbils will not germinate. I lost a year of production due to this happening.

After harvest the bulbils were simply dried and winnowed and kept in a cool place in the container with the main bulbs in a paper bag until planting time. There are from 300 to 500 bulbils in a mature cluster. I usually allow four bulbs to mature and mix as insurance, which is probably overkill.

The rounds also are dried and kept in a paper bag until planting time.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote