View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I am probably going to embarass Darjones by posting this complement about a tomato he saved - it's called spudatula and Terry from Secret Seed Cartel has it listed for sale. I can't wait to try this tomato because I have had good experiences with Black from Tula... anyway I recommend anyone who likes black tomatoes to check this tomato out at Secret Seed Cartel.
Jennifer, I'm a bit confused about Darrel being credited with "saving'' Spudatula.

It's a PL version of Black From Tula that originated with Bill Malin who called himself SpudLeaf Willie and if you look at the search below at the very last post you'll see him posting about it.

http://tomatoville.com/search.php?se...=1162269&pp=30

it's long been known and predates all the posts in the above link b/c Bill shared seeds with lots of folks who have kept it going. it's really a pink/black since it has a clear epidermis. I grew it many years ago , but as with Spudakee i don't know of anyone who has directly compared it with Black From Tula as they have with the three PL variants of Cherokee Purple, to know if it's the same except for leaf form, or not.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn