View Single Post
Old July 21, 2009   #5
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Looks awesome...can't wait to try this recipe. Still waiting for ripe tomatoes, though.

It appears you peeled the tomatoes in batch #1 and you did not peel the tomatoes in batch #2. Was there any difference in flavor?

I just picked up a tomato strainer. This website has some good deals (I am in no way affiliated with the store): http://www.creativecookware.com/tomato_strainer3.htm
For batch 1 we did peel and core the tomatoes after a quick plunge into boiling water and then an ice bath. Phew! What a lot of work!

For batch 2 we simply pulled off the stems and quartered the fruit. Quick and easy-peasy.

For both batches we added chopped onion, fresh basil, Italian spice blend, EVOO, and lots of garlic. We found out that the fresh basil must be mixed in or it will burn up in the hot oven, so it is important to stir right away, or cover with foil for the first 30 to 45 minutes.

Now the flavor was different but not because of the process. It was the fact that we (mistakenly) added about a tablespoon of sugar to the first batch, which made it very sweet. The second batch was much, much better.

Both batches went through the OXO food mill. I started with the fine blade but quickly switched to the medium blade.

The yield was nearly identical (2 1/2 pounds) per batch, even though the first batch had about a pound more fruit. I attribute this to the process. I think the loss occurred during the peeling process.

The OXO food mill makes peeling a coring unnecessary.

Happy cooking!

Last edited by TheClaw; July 21, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fix a typo
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote