View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Do you sample and eat these fruits of 'work-still-in-progress'? How do they taste?
I have these precursors of the Indigo Rose planted in different areas and the plants pictured were grown for a few weeks under the low plastic tunnels with slitted sides.
Once the plastic was off...it was warm enough to grow the plants normally. The fruits won't be ready until August/September and most of the other plants might produce by October.

What I want to determine is if any of the three types of plants used in the breeding of Indigo Rose have a flavor disadvantage due to genetic drag coming from the species of cheesmaii, chilense, and lycopersicoides or if it is just the original cultivars such as VF36 that are responsible. I have the VF36 in Hawaii to get a flavor test.

Using each of the ancestral lines in crosses with other types of tomatoes will help me recognize dominant or recessive flavor combining ability. Likely, I will send the initial hybrid work to Hawaii to be grown out of season (for me anyway) in order to get F-2 seed for my 2014 trials.

I don't know how many of my 320 different combination crosses have taken during the last two weeks...but I know the following are among the many blue crosses:

LA1996 (Aft) x LA0791{atv)
LA1996 (Aft) x Indigo Rose
Abg x Indigo Rose
LA0791{atv)
x Indigo Rose
Yamali Blue x LA0791(atv)
LA0791 (atv) x Dancing with Smurfs
LA1996 (Aft) x Dancing with Smurfs

Because the "take" of hand pollinations are iffy...I will make more crosses as needed.
I just happened to think of more crosses to make...especially to high flavored green and gold lines such as Green Grape Beyond and Flaming Burst.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote