View Single Post
Old February 13, 2015   #23
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJessee View Post
I just watched Gabe's video, Keys to Building a Healthy Soil. Thanks for recommending it. He has produced some amazing results over the past 20 years. And I'm sure he can speed that process up considerably (and we can too) with what he has learned. I considered no-tilling my last crop 2 cover crops last summer, but I was unclear on how to get the new seed into the soil through the cover residue. Of course, Gabe just hooks up a seed drill to the tractor.I need some instruction on that. Maybe I should trade in my Troy-Built tines for a seed drill. The remaining 40x100 I vacillate on leaving it for annual row crop or going ahead and putting it all in raspberries, currents, or something. I plan to move from the area in 5 years or so, maybe visiting every other weekend), but would like to try maintain at least my perennial plantings from a distance. So I will consider doing the chop n drop on the wheat and peas that are on it now, and leave the section the where I sowed diakon to maturity. I will put in 1-100' row of tomatoes, and maybe another 100' of raspberries. I liked Gabe's cover crop cocktails, so maybe the remaining area will be used for that.

I also have about 2 acres of grass on a hillside(steep) that I'd like to re-seed with honey bee-forage (and a few more fruit trees). Any suggestions?
Here is a link to a no till planter that I intend to buy, but haven't yet. I'll need it once I get up to around 10-20 acres +. dew drop drill Here is the expert on hill sides, fruit trees etc... actually his son as Sepp is now retired: Sepp Holzer's Mountain Permaculture Farm

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; February 13, 2015 at 03:54 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote