View Single Post
Old March 13, 2018   #9
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I sell from a roadside stand. I have a cooler and it is enclosed and airconditioned to keep the veg. fresher longer/better. I also sell at 2 Saturday markets and a Wed. market. it is a lot of work packing up unpacking and setting up. I also bake for the markets. I do not sell on Sunday.
Marcus, what an awesome story!
All that, and you bake? Goodness.

I can appreciate the work. Couple of years ago, along with the crops, I would make and take fresh Mozz. It would take all day Friday to make enough cheese.

Food is a ridiculous amount of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Right now we sell at 2 Sat markets and a Wed. DH does the Sat market 5 miles from home so he can do some farm work afterward. I sell at 2 markets in Madison that are 85 miles away, Sat and Wed.The Sat West Bend market (DH) is from 7:30 - 11. The Madison Sat is from 6 - 2, tho often sellers leave any time after noon if they are sold out or traffic is too slow. Wed is from 8 - 2 on paper but it's really 8:30 - 1:30 because you can't come in til they close the street at 8 and you have to be totally packed up when they reopen the street at 2.

That market that is for only 2 hours wouldn't seem worthwhile to me. Too much work setting up and tearing down for only 2 hours of possible sales. In the winter we do a market indoors that is from 8-noon and that seems too short for the work.

Carol
85 Miles is quite the haul, congrats on making that work.

I think there could be a purpose for the 2 Hour Mkt, mainly when there is the always expected harvest glut. When you simply have too much to move at one Mkt, save it for the next. Well, what will keep for a few days anyways.

It might be a good way to get rid of the excess, and put some cash in my pocket. Like I said, its very close by. I think, if I could streamline my setup, very minimalist, it could work.

But nothing is set in stone.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote