View Single Post
Old March 28, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Helmet Heads - How I deal with them

It's the time of year when this curse is set upon us. If, like me, you don't pre-soak your seeds before sticking them in the mix, there may be something here for you. I'm not sure that pre-soaking helps. Your results may vary.

The following pictures show how I deal them. My tools for the job include some very sharp tipped tweezers, a squeeze bottle of water capable of delivering one drop or less at a time, and a steady hand.

Not all "helmet heads" can be removed immediately. We must be patient and wait until the cotyledons have emerged a good ways. Until then, we can only use our squirt bottle to keep that seed cover damp and soft. This will make the little plant's job of shedding the hull easier.

CAUTION: If the seed hull doesn't come off easily, wet it down some more and give it a few minutes to soften up. If you pull too hard, the little plant will come right out of the mix. So, the word of the day is "Gently, very Gently".

I hope this helps some of you with this dubious task.

Isn't this intimidating. You do all the prep work, gather the seeds, plant them in the mix, and wait nervously for your babies to make a showing. When they do, you have the dreaded "Helmet Heads".

Pix1.JPG

You must choose good removal candidates. If the cotyledons are not showing at all, removal ain't gonna happen.

Pix2.JPG

First, you have to get some water on those seed hulls to soften them up. Warm or room temperature water works more quickly than cold. Don't use hot water as that might kill (cook) the little plant.

Pix3.JPG

Then we can GENTLY pull off the offending hull and free the little plant to start its life for us.

Pix4.JPG

My squirt bottle has deposited water in a small enough quantity that it stays on the helmet head and doesn't fall to the mix.

Pix5.JPG

Note the water droplet on the one on the right. If you can achieve this, the softening of the hull goes much faster.

Pix6.JPG

Now, take those sharp tweezers and take hold of the hull on its end, carefully avoiding grabbing it across the middle. The middle still holds the rest of those little green thingies you are trying to free up. So don't squish the middle.

Pix7.JPG

Okay, you've got it. Now comes the hard part. You need to pull very gently. I SAID VERY GENTLY. If you pull too hard, you risk the whole thing breaking its little root and coming out of the mix. I SAY AGAIN, .... GENTLY.

Pix8.JPG

You'll be able to see the hull slipping and releasing the plant. Just be patient. When the hull finally comes off, it will seem like the little seedling opens up its leaves and shouts, "Here I am". This job is done. Now, find another helmet and repeat the process. I usually have several in the wetting down stage when I'm doing mine.

Pix9.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote