View Single Post
Old July 2, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkh1 View Post
Hmmm...well, I have a digital copy of the 1st edition Livingston and the Tomato from 1893; the pages are pretty yellowed but here's the section on Acme and I digitally highlighted the pertinent Acme comments in other pages of the book. Does this help? NO question he writes Acme was purple but I've read the book and noted he never calls any of his varieties "pink".

I also ran across a 1940 Farmer's Bulletin which stated Acme was prolifically grown in the Northeast and North Central part of the U.S. and Eastern Texas. That will help me drill down to a few geographical areas.
Nope, it doesn'thelp b/c when I highlight it in my saved stuff it keeps telling me I already have it in pdf form and when asked I click on replace it, and nothing happens, and yes, I do have many files via Acrobat Reader, so I don't know what the problems is.

And NO, he would not have indicated that ANY variety was pink since as I said above back then the word purple was used to indicate a pink tomato, and that's helpful for now I know, I just couldn't rememember, that the original Acme WAS pink, as is the de Georgie one so what I grew from GlennDrowns listing is correct.

What I now need to find is my Michigan Bulletin of 1939 which is THE definitive summary of early varieties and their synonyms and descriptions and and realtionships, their various names that a single variety was referred to, and heaven knows where that is around here, but maybe it will show up.

So Iguess I'll still have to ask someone to help me find my own, which is the 1883 edition reprinted as a paperback with Andrew Smith writing the forward.

Carolyn