View Single Post
Old February 6, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know quite how to say this, but I wouldn't rely on what Lisa lists as the names of some of the varieties she lists. When Andrey first wanted to get involved in distributing some of his seeds in the US he did so at Amishland, and wishes he didn't, for several reasons.

Before I forget, Welcome, I usually see new folks posting in the Town Hall Forum so almost forgot you said you were new here.

For many years Andrey has been sending me varieties from Eastern Europe as has Reinhard Kraft from Germany and Andrey's envelope with the newest varieties came on Friday.

There aren't all that many heirloom varieties from Belrus but I highly suggtest Orange Minsk which Andrey found at a Farmers market and named. And there are some other ones he's sent me but I'm sure you'll find the, at Tania's site as well.

As 41 n suggested I also highly suggest that you go to Tania's website and look at the different ways you can search for varieties by country as well as by other means.

And yes, Belarus Orange is Orange-1.

Another major problem is that sometimes varieties are listed in more than one language at different sites. For instance Serdste Buivola ( Russian Language) is the same as Bawole Cerce ( Polish language). And if youclick on Malachite Box at Tanias site you'll see the real name in Russian, which I know I have to look up b'c it's hard to spell in Russian. Same with Emerald Apple.

I think rather than asking folks to respond to long lists maybe you could do some sleuthing yourself , just a gentle suggestion and when you come up with the ones that really do appeal to you, then start a thread in the general Disussion Forum and ask folks there for feedback and I think you're far more likely to get feedback than here in the Seed and Plant source forum which is for sources for same and feedback on same in a gneral sense.

Golden Queen for instance. released by the Livingston Seed Co in 1882, a nice med gold when ripe and also Golden Queen (USDA) which more closely shows what it should be like as described by Livingston in his book.

Do I think it's the best gold one around? Nope there are others like Aunt Gerties Gold that I like far better and many others.

Do my suggestions have merit with you? I don't want to put you off at all, but I think it's difficult for folks to respond to long lists, particularly in this Forum, the GEneral Discussion Forum would be far better, and there are Forums for the non-tomato other veggies you mention that are lower down on the Home page. .

I can speak to Sandul Moldovan since that's a variety I introduced, seeds from the Sandul family who immigrated to the US and it's an excellent variety. Same for Gogosha, from the Tarnipal region of the Ukraine, seed to me from a former student.

I too have an interest in European family varieties and many of them I've been offering in my annual seed offers here at Tville, the 2011 one just closed.

So welcome again, there are some great folks here as well as lots of info in back threads and the search feature here at the top is excellent.