View Single Post
Old July 14, 2017   #54
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
There's a darn good reason why you haven't seen any foliage diseases on Sara Black, at least so far.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara_Black

Sara Black and the other Saras you see at Tania's were bred by Joe Bratka,he had a little trick that he shared with my that he used to get get good X pollination when breeding,not just his Sara's but many more varieties he bred..

He bred many sara thises and that's in different colors and gave them fictious histories to indicate they were heirlooms from Germany.

At one time Joe had said if folks want heirlooms,I'll breed them, and he did.

All I'll say is that his little trick was to put pollen on the stigma,along with the desired pollen,from another Genus and species of tomato.

I rest my case.

Joe died a few years ago and his niece appeared here asking if anyone could send her seeds of what her Uncle grew.I knew Joe for a very long time and he not once referred to a niece.

I could list the ones he had that really were from Germany but I've done that many times before so no need to do it again as I see it.

Carolyn
Too bad he passed away. Would have been nice to learn if it really came from his grandmother or him. Still a nice looking plant and tomatoes. Hope it tastes good too.

Yep, I was the Wanted forums all the time in case I have something somebody wants and I remember that person wanting his seeds and you mentioning then that you didn't know anything about a niece, so I didn't offer her a few of these seeds I had extra. Figured you knew best and I didn't know the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Those are some beautiful hearts Starlight! They look very similar to a variety I'm growing in my garden!
Thanks! Your Dotson is too. Your plant really outshines mine. Unbelievable growth and yield on yours.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote