Thread: Peas are in!
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2014   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I learned how to plant peas effectively from reading experienced gardeners' online blogs.
It is very reliable and easy, I get close to 100% germination.

1. Sow 8-12 seeds per seed trays (the standard rectangular blacks ones, 1"x3"x6"?). The seedlings should emerge within a few days, when they are about 2-3" tall, dump the whole tray out and plant directly into the garden beds as one whole block, do not try to divide them. You can space the blocks however far you see appropriate.

2. Instead of using seed trays, you can also use lengths of rain gutter. Plant seeds in two rolls, 1-2"inch apart.

U only harden them off briefly (1-2 days) before planting them out under plastics, as I have no extra space to keep them inside.

I find option 1 works better, cleaner when you try to take the blocks out. You can start carrots the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Last weekend we had snow again and temps in the upper 20's. I began to think I wouldn't try any peas this year Then we got these warm rains yesterday and a more seasonable outlook for the next ten days.

If it weren't for the raised beds I wouldn't try this year. They would rot before I could get them up. And... waiting much longer would mean they would likely fail in the heat. So, while I am wet from the rain, the snap-peas are in!.

(now to dry off a bit an go back out with the onions and spinach)

Last edited by NewWestGardener; March 31, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote