View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013   #72
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf4grrl View Post
I already offered proof with picture - those segregants show sweet Beverly and sweet sharon, in 2011 - the very first year I grew them out.
Print don't lie!
The most famous example of an "instable" = heterozygous tomato is Green Doctors, which was found by Amy Goldman on a "Dr Carolyn" plant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
The second event was when Amy Goldman found GWR fruits on a plant of the variety Dr. Carolyn, which is a whitish/pale yellow. I never asked her if it was one GWR on the plant, which would speak to a somatic mutation, or all fruits on that plant were GWRipes.

And the taste if both Dr. Carolyn is very good as was the taste of this GWR and she named it Green Doctors. I didn't understand what had happened so this time I asked someone who is an expert on tomato genetics and he came back with a very plausible detailed description of how that could have happened.
I think it was Carolyn herself who suggested, that this might be a cross rather than mutation, because a light-skinned ("clear" epidermis) variant (Green Doctors Frosted) appeared independently in three different people's growout. Now both GD and GDF are being sold by several vendors. At least Baker Creek tells honestly, that they don't sell pure Green Doctors seed, only a mix of GD and GDF. To sell "pure" = homozygous Green Doctors seed you'd have to do a growout of at least 11 plants (or more depending on required/desired confidence level) from each "mother" and bag blooms.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote