Thread: Culantro Seed
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2007   #7
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

My wife studied in Panama for a year, she was introduced to culantro there, and loves the stuff. Here's what I can share:

Culantro is not related to cilantro in ANY WAY. It tastes similar (I think it tastes identically yucky), and of course the names are almost the same.

It's difficult to germinate, and the seed germination rate is only 50-75% even if you do everything right. Plus, it's slow growing, and hates to be transplanted. Have I talked you out of growing it from seed yet?

Bowing to pressure from the Mrs. to get her some culantro and *pronto*, I found that Johnny's Selected Seeds sells culantro seeds. I scattered, oh, maybe 75-100 seeds in a plastic container a coupla months ago. I have 30-40 baby seedling things up right now. What to do? Thin and just keep three? Naah, I'm going to try to transplant some into their own pot and hope some survive.

Oh, and they don't like direct sun all day, which I find real strange for a heat-loving plant like this. Just a few hours of sun during the day, they want shade otherwise.

J

Last edited by Soilsniffer; May 10, 2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Spellcheck.
Soilsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote