Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2017   #37
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The air layer I set on my Hardy Chicago back in early July was removed and potted today. It had a good sized rootball that had almost filled the quart size ziplock bag with some outer roots looking like they were just starting to harden up.

I used no rooting hormones, only lightly scraped the bark, filled the bag with moist Wondersoil and zipped it shut, cut a slice vertically down the front of the bag, molded it around the scraped branch taco style, and taped it up with some teflon tape. Easy peasy! (Or beginner's luck...)

Now I need to see if it'll not only survive, but if it will drop or ripen the five figs it's sporting. There are still another 30 or so figs on the mother tree, so I may still get to try some figs if these five drop and the critters don't beat me to the others.

Oh, and dad had another of his "white" cuttings that he stuck in some dirt and when it didn't seem to be doing much, he stashed it behind the garage intending to eventually toss it. A few weeks later he discovered it had started growing so he plopped it in the back seat of my car last time I visited. Now that it's in a sunny spot getting watered regularly, it's really taking off.

Now up to six trees. The shed is going to be very crowded this winter...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote