Thread: bleach spray
View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013   #69
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Torrential rains and high humidity have launched a bit of blight here in NH...there were two or three good-sized plants (2 feet tall) where I removed all stems that had so much as a leaf with a spot of blight (there weren't that many), but there are brown spots on the stem itself. Do I spray the bleach solution on the WHOLE plant, or just the area at the base of the stem where the blight is visible? Will your solution affect healthy leaves? In addition, I have a smallish Tarasenko 6 plant with a spot on the stem...it is in an Earth Box, roughly ten inches tall, with decent foliage...very healthy. In your opinion, would you spray a plant at this stage of growth with your solution? Many thanks for your help!
I start spraying plants with the dilute bleach spray when I first see diseases popping up on them and then try to apply a fungicide later in the day or the next day as a preventative. I don't know what is causing the stem lesions you are describing and don't know if the bleach will help or not. It could be something systemic and if that is the case it won't do much good. If it is some kind of disease or mold issue the spray could be some help. Usually when I have stem lesions it is caused by advanced Gray Mold or Late Blight; but I'm sure there are other causes.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote