View Single Post
Old December 12, 2016   #22
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Any update on the Gigandes? How many DTM roughly speaking? I have considered trying to grow them. I like plaki, too.

I've read that true Gigandes are white runner beans and not limas. Do you know? Limas do well here but I haven't had success with runner beans.
DTM for runner beans is highly variable. You could probably rate them as days to first bloom... but from there, it depends upon the temperature. In cool temps (mid-70's F. & below) pods might set as soon as flowers appear; but in warm/hot temps, the vines might bloom for months without setting pods.

My Gigandes did not seem to mind low 80's, it set a few pods then; but the majority set when a 2-day cool front briefly interrupted the heat. The pods take a long time to go from flower to dry seed, I think it was almost 2 months. Muddytoes, chances are that your runner beans will set in late Summer / early Fall, unless you get one of those cool snaps. You might also try putting a sprinkler on the vines for several hours, to cool the plants.

Limas & runner beans are almost opposites in terms of heat. I am fortunate to live in one of the "sweet spots" where I can usually get mature seed for both.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote