View Single Post
Old July 6, 2016   #69
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini Pesto

Enough for 2 servings of pasta:

-grate 1 unpeeled med. size zucchini
-lightly mix one pinch course salt with zucchini and put in cheese cloth or tea towel lined colander to drain for about 10 minutes.
-fold cheese cloth or tea towel around zucchini and squeeze with your hands to remove as much moisture from the zucchini as you can
-add a table spoon or two of olive oil to a saute pan and heat oil at medium low heat. Add some hot pepper flakes to taste ( I use about 1 tbs) and the grated zucchini to the pan with a pinch of salt.
-saute until zucchini is soft / let sit until cooled down a little
-toast 2-3 TBS pine nuts in oven at 350 until light brown. These do not take long to toast so keep and eye out. Do not let them get too brown.
-into blender add in this order... pine nuts/ crushed garlic cloves to taste( I use 8 cloves but I like garlic a lot)/ handful of fresh basil leaves or to taste/ cooked zucchini.
-turn on blender and process for a few seconds then start dribbling in olive oil just until the ingredients come together into a paste. Process until smooth.
-pour pesto into bowl and add grated Parmesan cheese about 1/4 cup or to taste and salt and pepper to taste. This is good on pasta or on grilled chicken...
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote