View Single Post
Old May 28, 2015   #22
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
If you had to, you could add a wick just by sticking a few lengths of rope or fabric into some of the drainage holes, and use a screwdriver to make sure it gets past the rock and weed fabric layer to the soil. Problem solved.

Have you seen it draining after watering?
Thanks fonesca,

Yes, it drained pretty much immediately after I poured a 5 gallon bucket of diluted TTF around the trough the other day. We have also had some light rains here fairly often, but the last few days have been sunny and getting warmer (mid 80's). The medium is clearly still quite moist/saturated.

Do you think the wick would be best stuck in the bottom? Due to size and container weight, it sure would be easier on me to drill a new hole or two on the side close to the very bottom, just above where I think the layer of small rocks and weed guard might be. Would that be any less effective? Any ideas on how deep would a wick have to penetrate the mixture to be effective for a container this size? Or perhaps would several wicks be better due to the mixture volume, 170 gal, or doesn't it matter?

Sorry, that was a whole lot of questions in a row

Also, I've read a few posts suggesting I may want the PWT for hot weather/droughts, but since I have an automated system already in there with a soaker hose on a programmable timer, I can't imagine why I would need it. Then again, that's why I ask. Because I don't have a clue

I have a post in a container growing mix thread that I am hoping will get some more perspectives, but what you suggest seems to make the most sense to me. I love taking and sharing pics, so I'm sure I'll post whatever I end up doing.

Thanks for your response!

All thoughts are very appreciated.

Last edited by squirrel789; May 28, 2015 at 02:15 AM.
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote