View Single Post
Old November 3, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I don't know what kind of peppers are under the sheets but my bells and jalapenos did just fine with two good frosts.
There are two Gypsy, two jalapeno, a Big Jim and one Ancho. No ghost peppers.

Quote:
I didn't see any frost this morning but I will still put the frost cloths over the beans because they are just so susceptible to the mildest frost.
I hear ya! This evening when I put them to bed I noticed a few leaves on the outside edge that had poked outside the cover as the plant's growing crooked and leans out. Then there were two or three leaves that had touched the top of the cover tunnel that apparently got bitten.

Quote:
I was glad the remaining tomatoes and bell peppers weathered the two frost.
I let the tomatoes go without cover the last two days because they're about done anyway. Seems like the frost didn't hurt them any.

Quote:
Hey Dawg I found something that works great for making the support for hoops. It is gray plastic conduit. It will bend great without breaking yet is much stronger and supports better than the black flexible pipe. I just cut off the female end of the ten foot piece and then just stick it in one side of the bed and bend it over and push it down on the other side. It will save you a lot of work setting up a hoop to protect your stuff in the winter. I wish I didn't have to have plastic covered hoops for the winter but there are always days here that are just too cold for the frost cloths which are so much easier to deal with.
Are you talking about using the gray conduit for the tall hoops? The black ones I have were cut 6' long from a roll of pipe. A 10' section of gray might just do the trick if a) it's not too expensive and b) if my cover clips fit over the pipe. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

We do sweet potatoes your way too although sometimes I cut them into wedges or "fries". Then I put them in a bowl, sprinkle them with a little olive oil or melted butter and this Indian spice mix made from a recipe I found, toss them around and then dump them on the baking sheet. You're right about it being quick and easy! Good stuff.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote