Thread: Fall Cole Crops
View Single Post
Old August 18, 2017   #13
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

This is what i grow in Fall-Winter-Spring with a few comments:

Lettuce - Lettuce is grown in round containers made from tops of plastic barrels (not 55 gallon, but the next size down). This way can bring inside when it gets cold and have Lettuce all winter. Favorite is Green Ice

Arugula (think it is Dragon Tongue Arugula) Grown in the same round container

Chinese Bok Choi - grown in ground, excellent in salads

Bloomsdale Spinach - new to me this year

Siberian Kale - Plant more of this than anything else, use to plant more Georgia Collard but everyone said they liked Siberian Kale better. Will survive the whole winter and produce again in the spring. Last year was mild so it grew almost all winter. Tastes great raw in salads and such

Georgia Collard - I love collards and they are very cold hardy and will survive winter and produce in the spring. If it doesn't get real cold will grow all winter. I have picked collards when the leaves were frozen solid.

Arcadia Broccoli - New Broccoli to me. Use to buy Packman but they stopped making it. Did a lot of research and Arcadia seemed like a suitable replacement

Purple Top Turnips - Will survive all winter if they reach a good size before it gets cold. The turnip itself can actually freeze solid a 2 or 3 times and recover and be fine. I was skeptical but when I read it but have experienced it so i know it is true. It helps to mulch but when it gets really cold they will freeze.

Many different cover crops that include Chickweed, Henbit, Hairy Vetch, Clover, and a few I haven't identified yet. All these grow right along with the main crops and do not hurt them at all.

I think that is all
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote