View Single Post
Old June 25, 2018   #24
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I made something like 40 pints of sweet peppers with them last year. That was my second year growing them; this year, I started bells only for my brother's garden. Antohi Romani seeds saved from an orange pepper germinated fine for me, even though they do turn red later for sure thing seed saving. Kind of random info, I know, but in case disaster strikes...I have four separate bags of seed saved and grew some out from each of them this year. I think I had 75 transplants, and most went in the ground somewhere. It is pretty dry so far, so I'm not really sure how good a pepper year it will be. Last year was wet, and was excellent for peppers around here.

Regarding "hybrid" labeling, I tend to agree. I think it is often used as a scare tactic -"warning, don't waste your time, buy more from us next year". A huge pack of waltham butternut I bought last season claims it is a hybrid. Now, I bought that huge pack because it was only $5 at the farm supply place and I didn't want to worry about buying again for years or saving squash seed since it can easily cross. But I had to laugh at it being called hybrid because waltham butternut has been around for like a million years.

Jalafuego is a hybrid jalapeno I bought last year and loved...since I don't need that many each year, I consciously decided NOT to save seed just to avoid the temptation to grow it out to see if it is true, and therefore devote space to it under grow lights and then in garden. Of course, this March, I was kicking myself for not saving any. I'm sure I will debate myself similarly in another month or so.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote