Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2017   #208
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Down here (SE NC) we had 3 nights of freezing ( Not just frost ) temperatures going all the way down to 20F. I hope that nasty weather is behind us. The lowest in 15 days forecast is 35F. It could well be wrong and go down to freezing. I hope not though.
So I will wait until no lows are under 40f, to get busy planting out my maters. Some of them are getting too tall. But I would not call them "lanky". They are healthy with thick stems, nice foliage.
On the positive side my cole crops are doing great. They didn't budge at those freezing temps.
It didn't get that cold here but I live on the very top of a high hill and the north winds were really coming in strong with nothing to block them from my garden the cold was multiplied. I had volunteer tomatoes all over and some were over a foot tall. They got frozen not frost bit. They looked like someone had poured a couple of gallons of boiling water over them. I am so glad I waited. The way I set my plants out it is impossible to cover them and any I set out would have been lost.

Hopefully I will start setting my plants out on Monday. No forecast for anything below 40 and best of all my big tulip poplar is finally starting to leaf out. It sure kept me waiting this year and I'm glad it did. I was so tempted to set some plants out the last week of February and the first week of March.

This weather has been perfect for Brussels sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, onions and carrots. I don't believe I have ever had prettier lettuce than this year and the spinach is going like gangbusters.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote