View Single Post
Old January 5, 2009   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Tuscan Chicken Bruschetta - Sun Dried Tomato National Contest Winner

This is a little work but one of my favorites.
For any recipes that call for the sun-dried tomatoes to be reconstituted: Soak amount tomatoes required in hot water just to cover for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. SLice or dice

Tuscan Chicken Bruschetta - Sun Dried Tomato National Contest Winner

2 cups mixed pizza cheese(Mozzarella, Provolone, Stevia, etc)
2 oz diced green onions
6 oz Julienne Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil
4 oz sliced sautéed shiitake mushrooms
5 oz Julienne grilled chicken breast
3 oz mayonnaise
Combine all items above in a mixing bowl.
4 oz pesto(in jar fine)
1 each baguette (or loaf French Bread)
4 oz diced fresh Roma tomatoes
2 oz balsamic glaze (see recipe below)
1 oz basil, chiffonade (see below)

Cut baguette in half lengthwise.
Spread pesto on baguette
Spread cheese mixture over pesto and bake in 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut, plate, top with diced tomatoes, chiffonade of basil, and balsamic glaze.

Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
1 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 cup Water
1/4 cup Brown sugar

Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and slowly simmer until it reaches the thickness of a glaze. Stir frequently to keep from burning
Chiffonade
Chiffonading, besides sounding strange in verb form, is a simple technique you may halready know. I find it a very handy for basil, but it can be used for any leafy thing large enough to roll. Leaves can be difficult to cut on their own, but when you stack them your knife actually has something to sink its teeth into. The end result proves that your hands are cooler than any food processor around.
Start with your basil leaves stacked. I got a little over zealous here, you can stack half this many leaves. Larger leaves like kale might not need stacking, use your judgment. You want the leaves to all go in the same direction, all neat like.
Roll up your leaves. It is easiest to roll basil lengthwise, so that the stems are parallel to the roll. With lime leaves, however, roll the leaves from tip to stem; that way you can cut out the woody center when you get there.
With a sharp knife, begin slicing the roll perpendicularly, creating fine, thin strips. The tighter the roll, the easier it is to make your slices thin. My fat roll was a little difficult to maneuver.
My finished chiffonade isn’t that fine, but you can get really crazy and make the most impossibly thin whips of basil if you prefer.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote