View Single Post
Old December 28, 2015   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

smarty Mr Worth. Actually, most of the best winter squash doesn't grow well here due the longer season they require. Some of the earlier ones do OK such as spaghetti squash but I can grow zucchini like nobody's business in my garden.
I sow 3 seeds in a six inch pot the end of April and transplant them as a group into one hill. Last year I kept them guessing at the community garden by planting one each of a black, a stripe and a yellow in the same pot. The garden neighbors thought it was a magic plant with 3 different colours growing on it because the three plants growing together look like one giant plant.
Patty pan squash is good too. try the three colour trick with that too. Honestly, just from that one "mound" of zucchini I can't keep up to it all in my garden.
here I like to say you know you don't have any friends with a garden if you have to buy zucchini in the summer. National leave zucchini on your neighbors porch day is a thing.
Salix is even more North than me Whoose ,and if we can grow it outside well here, you can too I'm quite sure.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote