Thread: Aphid Horror
View Single Post
Old August 11, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Audrey you have my complete sympathies on this, and yes we're also having a terrible aphid year too. First they were on the tomatoes and kept coming back for weeks on end. Then I found them on my peppers indoors and ever since it has been non stop daily maintenance or else, skip a day and be REALLY horrified!!!! I hate spraying soap indoors. It makes a huge mess and no it doesn't solve the problem it just means you'll be spraying again and again and again. So I started out just squishing aphids on the peppers by hand. This is amounting to an hour of disgusting action every day. Skipped a day and had to spray with soapy water anyway. Next day they were as bad as before though. Worst of all they are after the flowers, buds and baby fruit and they are wreaking some carnage there. I keep telling myself, home grown organic peppers... PRICELESS. When you add up the labor, the price per pepper is out of this world.
I always thought aphids were barely moving little sucking cows. Now after my 'squish fest' I realize these suckers can run pretty fast. And seem to survive a fall just fine, will get up and carry on. Climb, jump, drop, cling, run - they're as good as monkeys.

That is also awful and even worse, to be allergic to their hideous muck. I'm allergic to ants, their bites and whatever they leave behind, I will get itch and rash on my hands from touching places they've been. Detest em! And of course, the aphids they bring with em.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote