Thread: Carolyn's Book
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2006   #35
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I gave Carolyn's book to my mother this past Sunday for her 80th B-Day. She just loved it! She has been growing tomatoes for as long as she can remember. She recalled helping her mother and father break soil on their "dirt farm" in Nebraska during the depression to grow tomatoes.

For years she has only planted hybrids--Big Beef, Celebrity, etc. It has only been in the last couple of years that I have gotten her interested in heirlooms. Last year she tried Brandywine for the first time and really loved them. This year she has a few Rutgers, Black Prince and Sioux.

We spent a good amount of time together reading through the book and discussing varities to grow in the future...while talking about this she stopped and said...Gee, I may be getting ahead of myself...I am 80 you know! I looked to her and said she has a good many years to come growing tomatoes! She is in good health and I pray she does...

She spoke to her local nursery and they were kind enough to offer to grow out any seeds she brought in...so I suspect we will be spending the summer talking tomatoes and buying new seeds!
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote