View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012   #19
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NisiNJ View Post
It's possible to make raised beds without walls. In The New Victory Garden, the late Bob Thomson describes how he makes his raised beds.

"All my Victory Garden raised beds are 48 inches wide, and most are 8 feet long. ....To make the beds themselves, I use my rake to form the soil between the paths into a flat-topped mound about 8 inches high, with a base width of 48 inches and sides that taper up at about a 48-degree angle to a top that's 36 inches wide......when I'm finished I have raised beds that will last the whole growing season. Once created, these raised beds need only minor reshaping with the rake at the beginning of each season."

The New Victory Garden, 1987

The soil at my community garden is swamplike with no drainage, so everyone builds raised beds...and they are just long rectangular piles of soil. Raised beds may take less labor for setup--and tear down--and would fit with your plan of using part topsoil.
This is an awesome Idea! Thank you Thank You, I just needed that brain nudge to get me thinking a new direction.... I'm still thinking about containers... but I'm not opposed to any good idea.

I'm also going to get my soil tested and see what she looks like.
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote