View Single Post
Old July 22, 2015   #13
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
EB seems to went away after I added compost extract with added Mycorgrow packet and Biota Max tablet to the roots. Maybe it is a coincidence. So we still have Septoria to deal with.
Like I explained before in another thread research has proven that inoculating tomato seedlings with mycorrhizal fungi dramatically increases resistance to Early Blight. I've seen the results myself so I'm sold on that scientific research.
There is always that coincidence factor but since induced resistance to serious pathogens by certain bacteria and fungi at the roots is a known thing, it can't hurt to unleash the beneficials and see what happens. If it can at least reduce the need for chemical fungicides that's a good thing.
I'm really surprised at the lack of serious research on Septoria I can find. Aside from Late Blight. Septoria is the next most devastating foliar disease of tomato I've ever encountered. The last 2 seasons have been the worse with it coming on very early in the season. Before that I would always expect Septoria to show up only in late July or first week of August here. I did find out that there are at least 2 known races of Septoria which makes me think that what I have now is a more virulent race.
I've eliminated Verticillium as a possibility here, the yellowing I've seen after all the rains and humidity I can attribute to Septoria. It's been mostly dry and sunny the last few days and the yellowing symptoms on some branches have stopped anyway.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote