View Single Post
Old May 1, 2018   #662
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
I spoke with Ed at Urban Farms. He said that the EZ-Flow will definitely exhibit the settling problem I described earlier, since this particular injector does not agitate the water enough to mix up the settled fertilizer. He said that the settling is mostly caused by the calcium in the product and that they experimented with leaving out the calcium for this purpose, but that it's so critical to the quality of the nutrient mix that they decided to leave it in.

He recommended a Dosatron instead. He said that they use them and have found the quality to be superb. (I think the reason I didn't want to use a Dosatron is because it requires a minimum flow above what I produce in my small garden, IIRC.)

He also described an easy-to-build DIY solution. Get a tank of some sort, fill it with the amount of water you need to deliver to your plants, and the corresponding amount of fertilizer. Get a cheap submersible pump and plumb it into your existing irrigation line (use a shut-off on the fertilizer branch so that your fresh water doesn't pour into your tank). When you want to fertilize, just disengage the shut-off and turn on the pump until the tank is emptied. I suggested that they put a schematic on their website or make a YouTube video as I think there are lots of people like me looking for inexpensive and simple solutions to home gardening, and there's not currently much information out there, and it would help them sell more product.
I have always found Ed to be very helpful and very knowledgeable. That is why I wanted you to contact him. I hope what he told you is helpful.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote