View Single Post
Old March 4, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Some Different at The Muddy Bucket Farm

Something I have never tried to do, but will certainly do again. Back in the late fall, I had two of my backup plants that just refused to die, even though they were set into the garage without even access to water. One day I'm getting ready to clean up the dead leftovers and saw that these two were still green. I decided that if they were tough enough to refuse to die, I was going to overwinter them using only enough care to keep them alive. If they could make it thru sitting in a west facing window, I would use them for an early spring planting. I didn't think I could get fruit or even blooms, but this morning I found this 3 pod bloom truss full open. There are two plants in this 3.5 gallon bucket, which was free from a local pizza shop. The one shown has a working name of "Compost Pile Stripe". I found it in a neighbor's compost pile back in 2017. The only tomatoes my neighbor will grow are Rutgers and Bradley. And he isn't afraid to tell you so. So, this plant showing up is not quickly explainable.

Anyhow, I immediately vibrated that bloom to give it the best chance to pollinate. This afternoon, I'll give it a shot of Miracle Grow for tomatoes. And perhaps put up a grow light to enhance the lighting quality.

There are four pictures below. The first two are the original fruit and the other two are the bloom I found today and the bucket in the window.

BTW, the other plant that survived was Karen's & Marsha's "Karma Pink"

CompostStripe1.JPG

CompostStripe2.JPG

CompostStripe5.JPG

CompostStripe6.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote