View Single Post
Old May 26, 2019   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
Spinosad killed all the small leaf worms. The ones we had were green with reddish Orange head. About 3/8 inch long. I killed 2 stink bugs, I’m really struggling with squash vine borer, almost to the point that I don’t want to grow squash anymore.

Having the best fruit set year ever tho. Been watering almost daily with well water. It keeps root zone nice and cool. Fertilizing weekly with TTF. Have 2 C Purples that have 18 set fruit a piece. Aunt Ruby’s, BPTD, Barred Boar,and MaqiQo are loaded too. I’ve been thinning trusses because I’m worried about the toms being to small. Goal is for 10-16 oz tomatoes. We also have had minimal disease. Saw some EB today one small streak on a cherry.

Hope this heat breaks soon, the 15 day forecast has 2 rain days at 40%.
Squash Vine Borers have not been a problem in my garden for years unless I quit taking the step that stops them cold. I dust the lower part of the stem with Sevin dust using a small bulb duster. It only takes a few minutes and makes a world of difference without endangering the bees. The only problem is you have to do this after every good rain and any good watering where you wash the Sevin away. I move the dust further up the stem as the plant grows but not up near the blossoms. It has been working consistently for at least a decade and I have a hoard of bees feeding on the blossoms every morning.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote