View Single Post
Old February 5, 2018   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Lisa, do mean this is a 3 layer affair. two trays that fit tog perfectly, then filled with dividers , either 6 packs or a tray with many depressions to hold soil and 1-2 seeds......

Sorry still learning the lingo and online pics can be confusing.
Let's use rg's right tray in photo above as an example.

They tray itself measures 10 inches by 20 inches.
Within the tray he has 6 inserts, and in this particular situation each insert has compartments for 6 plants.

I used to be able to purchase trays that were half the size width wise, that being 5 inches wide and still 20 inches long. More flexibility when maneuvering seedlings with different growth rates under the light.

I also have inserts that have 9 compartments, 4 compartments ,and inserts that have no compartments and look like a mini loaf plant for dense planting of one variety. I can mix and match these inserts within a tray. I rinse and reuse everything.

If you run out or run short, in a pinch you can use disposable supermarket items like pie pans , lasagna pans as trays and strawberry clamshells or yogurt cups with a hole for starting seeds. Eventually you will want to get more uniform equipment but these items still work fine.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote