View Single Post
Old July 27, 2009   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Some good news and bad news about my Mid-Atlantic varieties:

I checked some photos of Sunray, and it looks like mine is too red. I either have a different variety (although the shape looks right), or crossed seed. I hope that some of the other folks that I gave seedlings to have the correct version. Can anybody else who's growing Sunray comment?

On a happier note, some of my fruits this year look like they are going to be HUGE in size (at least for me) - my "Middie" Chesapeake is one. I don't know if any of them will be prizewinners, but Hungarian Heart, Church, and even Black Krim are particularly large this year. I realize that size and taste don't necessarily correlate, but it is a surprise for me. Perhaps it's the red plastic tomato trays?

Hopkins is ripening; it looks just like a yellower version of Sungold, and tastes fine - but no cherry can beat Sungold or Black Cherry, in my opinion. It's rather mild; of course, I realize that the first fruits aren't always indicative of what the 'maters will taste like at the peak of the season.

Greater Baltimore's fruits are still green, but they are very pretty, round, and smooth. They look like they will be medium-sized - larger than, say Stupice, but not huge like a beefsteak variety.