View Single Post
Old August 19, 2018   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, one sowing only, seeds are typically sown around late July/mid August, aiming for an early October plant out and plants just keep growing as long as you let them or until frost gets to them. Generally start getting fruit just before Christmas, although this year with the earlier varieties, should be able to get them around the start of December with luck (first time with these vars). Have had plants bearing until June some years with late frosts, but more typically pull the plants around the end of April - the light intensity drops off as does the flavour. So no need to worry about a second round of planting, one just plants a few more to ensure that you get enough for our bottling needs.

Temp wise we generally only get a handful or so of days above 40, but they can occur anytime from mid December on, 35 plus days are more common, with probably 35 to 40 occurring across our summer, most of them in Feb. Generally do not go above 43, but 2009 was exceptional - a week of 35C plus days book-ended by the 47 to start and a 45 to finish - the 35C days felt cool in comparison.

As far as I can recall, only one variety has ever been affected by our heat and stopped fruiting during the worst of summer, and I cannot recall which one that was off the top of my head. Best last year was WES by a long way - 50 to 60 fruit upto 12 oz each per plant regardless of temps, but hten last year was a mild summer for us, not to many 35's and no 40's. Amish Paste also did well as did the red cherry roma and yellow pear - the kids loved them.

Will try to copy last years write up from else where into here for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Thank you. One of my favorites things to do with a cup of coffee on cold, frosty days!

Your high of 47C would be about 117F! I spent some time in Egypt - I think my hottest day there was 112F. Same extremely low humidity.

Do you grow spring and fall? What tomatoes seem to produce in your hottest growing temps?

Jeff
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote