View Single Post
Old January 20, 2018   #367
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Dan, Just read this thread-what an odyssey! Fun to see all the varieties that have been produced so far.

Is it still possible to get some seeds to try for a micro multi flora? The other I think is interesting is moving forward with that dwarf multiflora "11X-F3-5 that showed real promise that Oakley referred to already.
Plant #1 or plant 2?
Or maybe there's something else you think should be persued?
Thanks!
Heide
It’s never too late. I’d be happy to send you some seed. There are a lot of options, depending on what you want to grow and how much time, room and patience you have. Send me a PM and give me an idea of where in the selection process you would like to start and how many different varieties you’d like to play with.

I can send you seed that is most likely ‘fixed’ for micro and you can look for something unique. I could even send you F2 seed and you can hunt for dwarf/micro/multiflora from scratch. That means starting LOTS of seed and eventually culling out 99% or more to find just what you want. (I got carried away and made far more crosses than I can follow up on.)

I have a few crosses with some very interesting dwarfs. The F2s will all be dwarf and smaller, so finding a multiflora dwarf would be relatively easy. One in four should be multiflora. You can start plenty a little earlier than normal and leave them in cups until they show blossoms. That way, if you want to grow multifloras, you won’t waste garden space growing non-multifloras. Finding micros is more difficult – micro multifloras are even more so.

Also, feel free to reach out to Oakley and ask her for seed from those she’s growing. Hopefully, someone will find and stabilize something worth naming…..

Let me know.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote