View Single Post
Old July 24, 2016   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I did the measurements. Here's an example of the bowls I use. They are usually seen at the Dollar Stores around Halloween, in multiple colors, and costs one dollar. We also use them for popcorn. They hold 6 quarts. I usually start my juice making when I've got at least two of them full of tomato chunks. When I'm done with the Food Mill, I will have about one good handful of skins and some seeds left to go on the waste/compost pile.

I use the point of the knife to remove the seeds and the gel and collect it in a bowl or directly into a strainer. Then it goes into the pot and and the heat is applied slowly and kept low to prevent scorching or burning. Take your time with reducing the water from it. I wait until the reduction is done before adding approx. 1 teaspoon of canning salt per quart. I add the salt directly into the pot to allow me to taste it. This means it all will taste the same.

By removing the gel and seeds the way I do, I get two positive results. First, there is enough liquid in the gel to do the fermentation of the seeds, and the liquid I get from the Food Mill is much thicker to start with. It's one of those Win-Win things. If, for some reason, I'm not saving seeds (like with most hybrids), then I put it all into the Food Mill. This means more time in reducing the liquid, but that liquid around the seeds has a lot of flavor to add to the mix.

Here's the other pictures. The knife is 9 1/2 inches long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knifepoint.JPG (62.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0048.JPG (183.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0049.JPG (182.1 KB, 106 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote