View Single Post
Old February 8, 2018   #6
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
When I eventually build a seedling house I plan to build benches with lids like the ones in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZS15J2w9gc Double plastic, cheap and easy, and easy access. Probably wouldn't even need heat but I plan to have a heated water system using a water heater. Tubes run under a thin layer of sand the plants sit on. This would keep it warm and moist and cost very little (in my climate).
Im always waiting for his Cat to try to climb up the plastic, every time I watch his videos.

I have thought of exactly the same thing for heated benches. I was planning on a propane fired hot water heater, myself. I have a very small one, in the same camper the furnace came out of, but Im not sure if it even still runs. I just havent had the motivation to remove it, to test it out. Theres also a water pump in there, already designed for hot water.

I even have a roll of pex pipe, that would be perfect.

Maybe I need to rethink my strategy. Invest in some heavy weight row cover, and really harden off the seedlings. Thinking back to when I worked at the Nursery, the outside plants were only covered when a cold snap was protected. These included a lot of annuals. The covering was mighty thick though.

Well, the sun is shining, its about 80 degrees in my Larger High Tunnel/Seedling House, time to go do some transplants..
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote