Thread: Bonny Best
View Single Post
Old March 26, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Start chuckling a bit but when I saw the name Geswein, I chuckled myself b'c I recognized it ASAP. And yes, I've grown it.

I went back to the 1994 SSE YEarbook to refresh my brain and it's about that time frame that Craig L and I were getting varieties out of the USDA.

Craig got it out in 1993, NSL 27489, and it was in the USDA as Geswein's Purple Bonny Best. Remember that the word purple back then meant pink.Craig shared seeds with me and we both listed it and here's what I said back then when listing it:

75 days, then gave the NSL #, large indet regular leaf plant, prolific set of 4-8 oz oblate fruit with very good taste.

Craig said about the same and Neil Lockhart got seeds from Craig and said about the same.

When I look in the 2011 SSE YEarbook only Neil Gillard is listing it, seeds from me, but it doesn't say what year he got them from me which doesn't really matter and I know I still have the vial with those saved seeds from the mid-90's somewhere b'c I've never thrown out one seed that I've ever saved.