Thread: Wonder Soil
View Single Post
Old December 13, 2014   #17
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for posting! I'd been "wondering" how you liked the product. Looks like they've updated their website descriptions and changed some of their product labeling a bit since I last checked it out (or else my memory is getting worse than I thought ). The description Lee Valley gave was way off base, as you said

Anyway,I'm glad you're liking it so far. It'll be interesting so see how your plants do over time. Post some photos if you start noticing any significant differences been the plants in the Pro-Mix vs the Wonder Soil.

I just love working with the stuff - it's so "clean" and "user friendly." It's been especially impressive for growing sprouts (wheatgrass and sunflower) as it retains the moisture so well and you can get a nice even base for good seed to soil contact.

I'm also using it with very good results for my container cucumbers. It's my first attempt at growing indoors in containers and I'm happy with the way things are going so far. I started the picolino cuke seeds on November 21 and transplanted the seedlings into the pure Wonder Soil in a 14 gallon tote on Dec 4. I'm attaching a photo of them taken on that date and then a couple of photos of the plants today - 9 days after transplant. The first of today's photos has a close-up of them under the lights and the second is an overview of the lower portion of my set-up.

I used a bit less than 2/3's (or $10 worth) of the 10 lb Wonder Soil cube I got from Home Depot to fill the bin.

I also have a bunch of various leafy greens seedlings transplanted into my patio "salad tables" filled with wonder soil. The one bed more or less in the open is doing very well, but the ones in the 2 shade house beds were, as one might expect, growing a bit slowly. I finally got the shade cloth removed and bird netting put up in its place, so things should start growing quite a bit faster - esp. after this most recent storm passes.

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picolino cukes 1 - 12-4-14.JPG (229.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg picolino cukes 1- 12-13-14.JPG (239.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg picolino cukes on cart 12-13-14.JPG (243.2 KB, 302 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote