View Single Post
Old June 17, 2015   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You may be too low in P and K but I have never have low yields due to too much nitrogen.
And I mean up to the point of burning the tips of the leaves.

But that is in Texas and not where you live.

worth
All nitrogen is not created equal. However, the symptom of rank foliage with little fruit set also depends on cultivar response to high nitrogen.

I found this from 1934: New Jersey State Horticultural Society News

In the bottom of the first page and the beginning of the second they discuss that the (at the time) new variety Rutgers shouldn't be fertilised with as much nitrogen as the Pritchard cultivars, or else "the vines may be too rank and the fruit will be late in setting and developing"

Almost all commercial varieties now a days, and a lot of OP varieties too, although they are not Rutgers, they do have Rutgers in their parentage somewhere. So I would suspect that is very likely what's going on.

Other things to consider are pollinators, maybe companion plants like basil and borage? A high tunnel does block a lot of wind too. I personally would take the cover right off the whole high tunnel for now and try and get some natural predators attracted (or bought) to deal with the whiteflies.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; June 17, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote