View Single Post
Old March 21, 2013   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Cinder blocks and wood planks are not safe unless done properly and could spell injury or even death.
Sorry.

Worth
Heck of a lot safer than putting a step ladder in a wheel barrow as was suggested by Farmershawn. Safer than reaching tip toe off the end of a too short ladder too. And cinder blocks CAN be made into a sturdy base for scaffolding, then taken down after. Safer than any ladder, even the right size ladder. Even safer than trying to tip something that heavy. Sorry, but anyone in construction will tell you scaffolding gives a better base for your feet and balance than reaching over while on a ladder. I have made many many of them when I was working construction in the summer to pay for my schooling.

Can you do it wrong? Sure. Anything can be done wrong. But it isn't all that hard to do it right either, assuming you have enough cinder blocks and don't try to "stretch" them by stacking them upright instead of flat and interlocking.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote