View Single Post
Old January 16, 2017   #41
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Ron milk has, as far as I know, worked on tomatoes as a preventive treatment. Once powdery mildew has set in it was not effective for those that I know of who tried it. Given that, I would suggest using your copper/sulfur at the lowest does on your directions and see how that goes.

I do start each variety of seeds in separate containers due to the exact reason that you mentioned. Each variety germinates at different times, so if you have a multi-cell starter then one variety is up and going while you are still waiting on others to germinate. It makes it difficult to deal with each of their needs. Seedlings should be placed close under lights from the day that they germinate. Legginess can set in within the first two days without ample light.

I'm glad to hear that your Brother in Law came to visit. Did your sister come too?
Patti..>>My Plantlings have now dried and I love how they look But I presume in a few days I can give them a Copper/Sulphur spray ....Yes I am going to try and find a couple of round trays 3-4 inches deep that fit inside my stainless drums I have..I could put a polystyrene base to sit in the tray ,put capilary cloth on it with water in the tray and then sit individual seed pots on it ...(with grow lights and a fan) ..then I can move the pots depending on the growth ...I am not happy with the way I do it now...I end up in no mans land ...3/4 of my cells are up with growing leaves and 1/4 ...well there is no sign of them ...Tomorrow I will look at what has yet to appear and if there are any crucial ones I will have to reseed some spare cells as backup...
Yes my sister did come but it was too cold for her to get out of the mobile home..my brother in law is a great person...She was lucky catching him many years ago...He went out and inspected the greenhouse and the plants ..Although he grows tomatoes he had never heard of Perlite or milk treatment ...They live at the top of the South Island where its extremely beautiful and great weather and there is huge greenhouses up there ....I should have moved up there many years ago ..
Now LED grow lights...I thought these would not create heat but they really do ...I have my Chinese hat reflector with the bulbs sitting on top of the drum with the propagator in it and when i move the hat the heat from inside the drum hits me in the face ... I do give my seedlings a mist spray at night after I switch the grow lights off and another light spray in the morning before I switch them back on ...Just as an insurance in case they are not getting water from the capilary cloth but its amazing when I transplant how wet the bottom of each cell is..
I still have not got my procedure right for my young ones...More reading required..

Regards Ron..
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote