View Single Post
Old March 11, 2012   #67
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Mmmm. Kale and Scallop Soup for One

Eden, selected from AllThingsHealing.com
December 8, 2011

by Andrea D’Amore and Leslie Brand, Contributor to Healing Recipes on All Things Healing
[adapted from bon appetit]
This recipe combines two of my favorite things; soup and kale. First, I will always eat soup! To me, it’s another food group, and when made with fresh herbs spices, shallots and garlic as this one is provides the body with anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory benefits. Also, another benefit of hot foods, like soup, is that they speed up your metabolism. Putting something hotter than your natural body temperature into your body requires energy to cool it down. This does not mean however, that you should start eating everything super hot because you will destroy the nutritional integrity of a lot of vegetables. Actually, I usually choose to throw my leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach in at the end of cooking, both to preserve their vitamin content and their texture (something about the texture of wilted greens isn’t happy). Plus who would want to ruin the nutritional powerhouse that the king (or queen, if you prefer) of greens has to offer. Eaten on a regular basis kale provides the body with a diverse spectrum of vitamins and nutrients especially vitamins K, A and C and when combined with the cauliflower, another cruciferous vegetable, has the power to really protect against cancer, especially bladder, breast, colon, ovary and prostate.
Kale and Scallop Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 T extra virgin olive oil

1/4 c shallots, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 c vegetable broth

2 T coconut milk or organic cream

1/2 c cauliflower florets, chopped

2 c kale, coarsely chopped

~4 oz sea scallops, halved horizontally

a few basil leaves

sea salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
1) Heat oil in small saucepan over medium low heat. Add shallots and sauté about 7 minutes, until soft and lightly browned. Add garlic, sauté another minute.

2) Stir in vegetable broth, coconut milk or cream, cauliflower, and kale. Simmer, covered, until kale is bright green and slightly wilted [about 3 minutes].

3) Add scallops. Simmer uncovered about 2 minutes, until opaque in center.

4) Stir in basil, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Read more: All recipes, Eating for Health, Food, General Health, Soups & Salads, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, cancer, cauliflower, cruciferous vegetables, fresh herbs, healthy recipes, kale, leafy greens, scallops, vitamin a, vitamin C, vitamin K

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/mmm...#ixzz1oCBHqGVc
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote