View Single Post
Old March 5, 2017   #40
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
Sadly,

I hesitated to post this video for fear of negative reactions. Not surprisingly it happened. There is healthy skepticism and then there is overt negativism. I encourage all to be open minded and LOGICAL without EGO
I've been following this thread, and feel that part of Hellman's argument, "That frame, burlap, screws, and glue are NOT 90 years old", IS logical. My guess is that the young gardening enthusiast has been duped. It's NOT logical to believe that he has managed to revive seeds that were "hanging on a wall at Lancaster County Seed Co.", and are 80+ years old, when Carolyn writes, "It's good to know that the oldest tomato seeds ever confirmed to germinate were 50 yo seeds."

JohnJones writes: " Hard to fake those seed packets and for what reason". I don't know how hard it would be to fake the seed packs, but they show very little sign of aging. The seed packs in post 36 are closer to what his should look like. I worked as chief technician in an art museum, and know well what acids, even in paper, can do to art, which is why acid-free paper is used in all framing. Burlap is inherently acidic (more so than paper), and those packets would be very discolored if the "shadow box" was even just 10 years old. As for "for what reason" - Luke says he paid a "hefty price", which is reason enough for those who sold it to him to fake it.
I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the young man (though he is running a seed business), but I don't find it LOGICAL to believe that obviously forged seed packs contain 80+ year old seeds.
One other thing: I've done an extensive internet search, and find no mention of a "Giant Crimson" tomato, though one may very well have existed. (I found "Crimson Giant", which is a Russian variety.)

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote