View Single Post
Old June 29, 2019   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah the rounds from bulbils are also a very good size, especially certain varieties. Some varieties naturally produce a smaller round, but the real question is, how many cloves will those rounds produce, because if the cloves are many and small it can take a long time to size up your bulb. The Early Purple rounds were quite small but in the greenhouse they produced surprisingly big stalks and of course these lovely rounds as well as the bulbs I haven't dug yet. Kolkja Red Russian is another with beautiful big rounds from bulbils, and a couple of small bulbs - one even produced a scape. The half dozen largest are still waiting to be dug. Messidor also produced really big plants which are still green, and I'm guessing they will be mostly divided bulbs, from bulbils.

Then you have varieties which naturally produce smaller rounds. Kolkja Purple I'm guessing is a purple stripe, so like Chesnok it would have many small cloves next year. But maybe I can use the late planting in the greenhouse trick, and fool them into making bigger rounds? Definitely worth a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KolRR-rounds.JPG (233.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Kol-glazer-rounds.JPG (234.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg KolP-Mik-rounds.JPG (234.6 KB, 78 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote