Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 5 Hours Ago   #1
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Who is eating my tomatoes?! (Photos)

I am getting some heavy attacks this year on my maters. The garden is protected from large animals with an eight food deer fence, reinforced with chicken wire on the lower 2' and underground. The fence has been very effective and there are no breaches or attempts to burrow under, so the attacks must be from a climber or small animal. I'm thinking maybe squirrels or chipmunks, both of which we have in abundance here. The attacks started with low hanging fruit but now they are hitting as high as three feet up the staked tomatoes.

The only animals I have seen in the garden are crows, but they seem to be interested in the mulch, and the tomatoes look like they were chewed with teeth, not beaks. I haven't seen anyone on or near the tomatoes.

And while I'm here, someone is also eating my potatoes (last photo), which is strange because they are under ground with 6" of mulch on top. The only critters I have seen near the potatoes are ants. No attacks on other root crops such as onions, garlic, or beets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS4_9239bs6.jpg (184.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TS4_9241bs6.jpg (140.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TS4_9240bs6.jpg (277.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TS4_9242bs6.jpg (144.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TS4_9238bs6.jpg (223.2 KB, 8 views)
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Hours Ago   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Agreed that it is one or both of the rodents. Not after food, but the water in tomatoes. We have provided water access easier than tomatoes and have no damage to our tomatoes. Just an idea. The last photo of a potato (right?) looks more like what a vole or mouse would do. Food supply and after hollowing out the potato, they will make it into a nest.

Last edited by PaulF; 5 Hours Ago at 02:09 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Paul! The critters being after water makes sense as we are on a dry ridge and had a two month drought in June & July. I'll put some water containers out around the outside of the garden and see if that helps.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Hours Ago   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello TomNJ

Sorry about your Tomatoes. The Birds and the Small Animals are enjoying my Pear Tree, and staying away from my Tomatoes so far, Amen!!!

I am Praying; that all these Little Pretty creatures stay away from my Hawaiian Pineapples Heirloom Tomatoes.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote